We at Zephyr Adventures run hiking and trekking adventures around the world, including multiple European hiking vacations. Two of our newest locations are Chamonix in the French Alps and Sifnos, a Greek Island. They are both very appealing but also very different!
Hiking adventures in the French Alps and the Greek Islands have much to offer. Both Chamonix and Sifnos are great options for outdoor adventurers, but they offer very different experiences. Chamonix is located in the French Alps and offers hikers stunning mountain views, challenging trails, and a vibrant nightlife. Sifnos is a Greek island located in the Aegean Sea and offers more relaxed, nature-filled trails, secluded beaches, and traditional Greek villages. Both locations offer incredible scenery and plenty of activities to explore.
- Chamonix in the French Alps is a busy town, so you will find more services with luxurious hotels, restaurants, and spas but also more tourists in the summer months.
- The mountains are much bigger, offering plenty of stunning and breathtaking scenery including the beautiful Mont Blanc (the highest point in the Alps), snow-capped peaks, glaciers, and flower-strewn trails.
- There are different levels of difficulty with a variety of routes, including some ski lift-assisted hiking, and a ton of hiking options that vary from moderate half-day hikes to challenging multi-day treks.
- The best time of year to hike Chamonix for hiking is June through September.
- Hiking is not the main reason to visit Sifnos, as compared to Chamonix which is famous for its mountain sports. You will find more varied culture on Sifnos.
- The hiking on Sifnos is more moderate than in Chamonix, as the altitude is much lower, and there are hills rather than mountains. Still, there is plenty to offer even fit hikers.
- You can explore all the island has to offer, such as local cuisine from freshly caught seafood, creamy cheeses, homemade pastries, and the traditional drink of choice, ouzo. Ouzo is a Greek anise-flavored aperitif, served neat or with cold water and ice.
- There are many historical archaeological sites to explore.
- Plenty of great food and accommodation options, as well as plenty of activities such as swimming, sailing, and snorkeling.
- Spring and autumn are considered the best times of year to visit.
Your Next European Hiking Vacation?
Both Chamonix and Sifnos are amazing experiences and we are thrilled to be offering adventures in both locations. In the end, perhaps the biggest difference between the two is the scenery. If you love huge mountains, go with Chamonix. If you prefer the rustic, seaside images of the Greek Islands, go with Sifnos. There are a few, limited spots left on our Greek Islands Hiking Adventure and you can be added to our waitlist for our Chamonix Hiking Adventure —won’t you join us for your next European hiking vacation?