Some might even name Chamonix in France as the greatest mountain town in the world. We might not go that far, in part by being humble enough to say we have not been to every mountain town and in part because we have an affinity for the Rocky Mountain West. But it is undeniably true that Chamonix is amazing – and the Chamonix hiking options are incredible.
We recently completed our 25th anniversary alumni-only tour there and have placed this on our 2023 schedule for September 7 – 12 to give those who were not able to go this year a chance to participate. Here’s what we love about Chamonix and our Chamonix Hiking Adventure:
- Chamonix: The town itself is fantastic. The downtown is extremely walkable, there are a ton of shops, and bars and restaurants abound.
- The People: Everyone you meet is not only super nice but super fit. Everyone seems to be just departing for or returning from a hike or mountain bike ride. It was a really nice vibe.
- The Food: We ate French food most nights and it was delicious. But we also ate at an Italian restaurant (the border is just over the mountains) and a international restaurant operated by a female Swedish chef. Fantastic.
- The Hiking: Hiking in the Alps is not easy. But it is not difficult, either, thanks to the abundance of chair lifts, gondolas, and mountain trains that allowed us to gain altitude or return to the valley floor with these assists. It also meant we could easily present multiple options (short to long or easy to hard) each day.
- The Views: But perhaps the reason Chamonix is so popular are the views. We had views of Mont Blanc, tallest mountain in political Europe, right from our hotel windows. The views were non-stop wherever we went up and down the valley, from the hikes, and on the chairlifts.
For an amazing vacation in the French Alps, consider our Chamonix Hiking Adventure in 2023!