Updated July 5, 2021
The travel world – indeed the entire world – has been turned upside down with the COVID-19 pandemic. We understand this has greatly impacted you, as it has greatly impacted us.
However, with the onset of widespread vaccination, travel has not only returned but surged. And with our safety precautions below, including a mandatory vaccination or COVID test for travelers on all 2021 tours, we are safely operating tours this year. Following are our procedures for keeping you safe.
Mandatory COVID Test or Vaccination
For our 2021 tours, both private and public, we will require one of the following for all participants:
- Proof of vaccination, including any required second or booster shot.
- A negative COVID PCR test result within 72 hours of the tour start. If you cannot obtain a test locally, we will provide information on how to do mail-based tests that are quite reasonable at $119.
- Proof of recent (within 90 days) COVID infection and recovery.
Please note this is for the protection of our travelers, our guides, and those we encounter on our tours. So far in 2021, about 95% of our travelers have been fully vaccinated.
By requiring all our trip participants to be vaccinated or have a negative PCR test result, our goal is to make sure all our tour group members are free COVID-19. This allows us to eat dinner together, travel in the same vans, and even give post-tour goodbye hugs. However, even if you are vaccinated, there is a risk of contracting COVID-19 and this risk is very likely higher due to the new Delta virus variant. Therefore, we still take the risk of COVID-19 seriously and ask you to help us keep our travel bubble safe by not exposing yourself to COVID-19 in the two weeks prior to and during the tour.
Most of our tour participants fly to their destination. Airlines and airports are taking steps to keep passengers safe, including new electrostatic sanitation after each flight, mask requirements, and passenger screenings. Studies have suggested the risk of contracting COVID on flights is actually fairly low if you keep your mask on throughout the flight.
Tour Safety Precautions
- Our small-group tours are safer than larger bus tours or cruises and outdoor, active travel is by its nature safer since biking, hiking, snowshoeing, kayaking, and other activities can all be done with more social distancing.
- We will provide an introductory briefing on the first day of your tour about precautions we should all take.
- We will have face masks, hand sanitizer, a first aid kit, and a thermometer available on the tour.
- We will move as many activities (introductions, morning meetings, etc) outside as possible.
- We ask all participants to have a face mask available. Since our groups are fully vaccinated or tested, it will be up to individuals whether to wear their masks.
Hotels and Restaurants
Regarding COVID-19, spending time indoors is inherently less safe than spending time outdoors. Thus, we encourage you to continue to wear masks when entering restaurants or hotels, regardless of local laws. In addition, we will eat as many meals as possible outside or in sections of restaurants in which we can be separated from other diners. For 2021, we have also reduced our Single Supplements to encourage solo travelers to book their own rooms.
Since our groups will all be either vaccinated or have a negative PCR test result, traveling in the same van should be safe. However, we will ask you to have masks available and it is up to each individual to decide whether to wear masks in our vans.
Higher Risk Travelers
If you are at higher risk or just have a low risk tolerance, you are welcome to implement even stricter measures on tours. You can choose to drive yourself to a domestic tour, including from hotel to hotel. You can choose to eat with your own travel party at dinner or take meals back to your room. You can choose to skip any group activities we have planned.
We have always been focused on safety, with our guides being trained in first aid and CPR. We are prepared to offer you small-group adventure travel vacations in as safe and responsible a manner as possible. Most importantly, we know you want to travel and we will be there for you when you are ready!