“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
Saint Augustine, who never went on our Colorado family vacation
We love family tours.
The key to our family tours is that we provide a structure that offers flexibility of different ages, abilities, and interests. For example, you can participate in some activities with your kids while at other times choose to have a nice glass of wine with a fancier dinner or take a longer hike while we take care of your brood. A huge positive for you as the trip planner is that with our guides in charge, it is they who are responsible for driving, directions, reservations, planning, and answering “Are we there yet?”
And Colorado is about as great a family tour location as exists. It is no beach vacation or Disneyland. Picture river rafting on the Colorado River, horseback riding in the Rocky Mountains, and bicycling on a paved path along an alpine lake. Add to that visiting a ghost town, touring a historic abandoned mine, and exploring Independence Pass at 12,095 feet in elevation. Throw in some delicious Colorado cuisine, a visit to a craft brewery, and plenty of pool time. Top it off with a rodeo and this is an outstanding Colorado Family Vacation for both adults and kids.
We recommend this tour for kids age 5 – 14 but for private tours can accommodate any ages. We strive hard to keep our prices reasonable as we know paying for the family can take a bite out of the budget. We think when you add up all the costs of lodging, transportation, meals, guides, and activities you will find this a reasonable cost for an amazing experience.
Note we usually run one or two public family tours each year. Check out our current calendar for details.
Private Tour Info
Want to make this a private vacation? Gather your family and friends, choose your date, and we'll do the rest!Start planning your private tour
- Cost Per Person: $2,500
- Single Supplement: $800
- Private Tour Minimum: 10
- Activities: Hiking, Biking, Rafting, & Horseback Riding
- Difficulty: All Ability Levels
- Guides: Desiree' Kameka
Other Info: Kids staying in a room with their adult(s) receive a lower price of $2,125
Adults wishing to have their own room can pay a single supplement of $800. Aunts, uncles, and grandparents are welcome on this trip too! This trip is appropriate for kids ages 5 - 14.Book this Tour
- Walk the mountain towns of Aspen, Leadville, and Frisco
- Hike to Hanging Lake, a National Natural Landmark, and explore Independence Pass at 12,095 feet in elevation
- Ride a horse (or pony) in the Rockies and river raft on the mighty Colorado River!
- Visit a ghost town, explore an historic gold mine, and attend a real rodeo
- Bicycle on a mostly flat paved trail along Dillon Reservoir
- Swim in hotel pools four of four nights
Arrival and Departure
- One or two Zephyr guides accompany each trip.
- Double occupancy lodging is included. If kids stay in your room (and we can often get a suite) they get a discount of 15% off the tour price. If you are a solo adult in your family group, you may pay a single supplement to have your own room.
- Dinners and breakfasts are included. Gratuity for these meals is also included. We leave lunches open so that you have time to explore and enjoy the local flavors en route.
- All your transportation is included once you meet your guides on the first day.
- All group activities are included.
- NOT INCLUDED Beverages, desserts, lunches, gratuities to your guides, personal expenses, and travel to and from the destination.
Type of People Who Will Enjoy This Tour
Kids of any age are welcome but this trip is most appropriate for kids five through 14. (On private tours we will adapt the tour to the group.) We as guides can vouch that kids are the true experts at having fun and it makes this tour special for everyone. This trip includes activities that both kids and adults will enjoy, sometimes together and sometimes separately. We know you love your little darlings, but we realize it is nice to have an occasional break for an adult drink or longer hike — our guides are more than happy to oblige you in this! We plan a couple separate activities and a dinner for kids and adults (your older teenagers can make up their minds which group they would like to join these times!). Adult family members traveling on their own without kids (such as uncles, aunts and grandparents) will also love this trip.
This Adventure is rated For All Abilities. No experience is required for horseback riding and river rafting, although there are minimum age restrictions and alternative options for these activities.
Changes to Your Itinerary
While everything under “What is Included” will remain the same, the actual restaurants, hotels, and activities listed in our itineraries are subject to modifications. Changes that are out of our control are common – a restaurant closes or loses its awesome chef, a winery changes its visiting hours, a hotel gets remodeled, a road or trail undergoes construction. You are entrusting us to create an outstanding vacation for you and so it is possible we may take the liberty of making necessary changes (even at the last minute, during the guides’ scout trip) to the itinerary that will improve your overall trip experience. If there is any one experience that is going to make or break your trip, please discuss this with us in advance! We will attempt to keep our website itinerary as current as possible and communicate any major changes with you in the weeks prior to the tour.
Book this Tour
I really want to join this trip but can't book quite yet. Put me on the Interested List.
I'm interested in this tour and want more information. Get in touch with us.
Plan a Private Tour
Looking to book this itinerary as a private tour? Complete our private tour inquiry form to get started.