Main image credit: Alexei Dmitriev
“Your comfort zone is a place where you keep yourself in a self-illusion.”
–Rashedur Ryan Rahman
Take yourself out of your comfort zone on this magical trip to Peru that combines hiking, foreign cultures, and a program of personal transformation – all in the spiritual setting of Peru.
Peru offers great civilizations, vast landscapes, and a people passionate about their culture and history. Peru is one of the hot spots of adventure travel, primarily because it is home to both Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail. We visit Machu Picchu via a shorter, one-day hike of 10 kilometers which finishes at the Sun Gate of this ancient city.
But what makes this trip special is the program of personal transformation you will undertake with your fellow travelers, led by certified Nurse Practitioner and integrated medicine expert Karen Preston. Karen will address the three pillars of optimal health (mind, body, and spirit) with daily talks she uses in her practice. We will incorporate transformational activities including yoga, meditation, mindful eating, mindful walking, and a daily gratitude journal. We will also make this a Complaint-Free Journey that will get you started on your own path towards positivity – perhaps especially important in the modern-day world.This trip includes airport-to-airport service, acclimatization hikes and activities in the Sacred Valley and Cusco, most meals, entrance to Machu Picchu, and a scenic train ride along the Urubamba River.
Who This Trip Is For
You do not need to be a yoga enthusiast, participate in meditation, or have any spiritual or medical credentials to participate in this tour. You should be able to hike ten kilometers (six miles), be curious about foreign cultures, and have an open mind about science and your health. You should be eager to learn new tips and tools for improving your own mental, physical, and spiritual health now to ward off lifestyle diseases of the future.
About Karen Preston
Karen’s background in family medicine with certification in functional medicine (see the Institute for Functional Medicine site for more info) creates an opportunity for her patients to experience personalized medicine and get to the root cause of chronic disease where changes can be made to help restore health and well being. Ultimately, Karen seeks to empower her patients with the knowledge and know-how to achieve optimal wellness.
Karen earned her MSN from the University of Pennsylvania, along with her BSN in Nursing from George Mason University, and BA in Sociology from Bryn Mawr College. For more than 14 years, Karen has enjoyed the immense rewards of working with individuals and families in the health and wellness field.
We know Karen as an alumni of multiple Zephyr Adventures tours around the world and are happy to be working with her to create this novel journey!
DAY 1: We will meet you at 1:00 PM at the Cusco airport (elevation almost 11,000 feet) and whisk you away to the Sacred Valley to the archaeological site and market town of Chinchero, about an hour away and several thousand feet lower (crucial for acclimatization) in the Sacred Valley outside of Cusco. We continue from there to check into our hotel where we will have introductions, an overview of the trip, and an opportunity to share your expectations and goals for the week. Before dinner we will meet to discuss our first Transformational Topics, meditation and gratitude journaling…SEE FULL ITINERARY
Real People, Real Experiences – What To Expect On This Trip
As on all of our adventures, we want to ensure you have the best experience possible – which is why we like to set expectations appropriately for every trip. Check out What To Expect On This Trip.
- Because we must provide a deposit to our local outfitters, the $500 deposit for this trip is not refundable or transferable to another trip, starting seven days after you receive your tour confirmation email. Please strongly consider trip insurance!
For More Information
- See Frequently Asked Questions for this specific trip.
- See our special page on Machu Picchu.
- See our General FAQs page for general tour questions.
- INTERESTED IN JOINING US? Call us at 888.758.8687 or email us to check availability, or to ask any questions you may have regarding this trip or any other travel ideas you may be considering.
- TO BOOK YOUR ADVENTURE: You can book online or by calling us at 888.758.8687. Zephyr Adventures requires a 500 deposit (payable by check or credit card) at the time of booking. The remaining balance is payable by check or credit card no later than 60 days prior to the start of the trip.
- WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? We will send you a confirmation email after we receive your booking, as well as a link to detailed printer-friendly pre-departure documents: arrival and departure information, suggestions for making travel arrangements, a packing list, an invoice, information about your trip location and guides. It will also include a link to an information form and liability waiver. We will also provide you with a link to information about travel insurance. We highly recommend you purchase travel insurance because it protects you if you have an unexpected change in travel plans. Please do not purchase airfare until you have received your pre-departure documents.