“Dramatic volcanoes, misty cloud forest, and deep river valleys make Costa Rica an ideal destination for the adventure minded.” – Travel & Leisure Magazine
This tour is no longer being offered in 2018What better way to improve your language skills than by exploring the stunningly beautiful, Spanish-speaking country of Costa Rica? On this adventure, Cristobal Cavazos of the !OLE¡ Spanish Fluency School, will lead us in daily Spanish-language workshops. Each lesson will be focused on the activities we have planned for the day, our surrounding environment, and Costa Rican culture. We will be focusing on Spanish instruction for all levels and abilities – so don’t worry, you won’t be lost if you are a beginner and you won’t get bored if you are more advanced! You will also have the opportunity to exercise your new language skills by conversing with local Costa Ricans. Additionally, we have a variety of daily activities planned, making sure you get as much – or as little – exercise as you want each day. We start our adventure by hiking through the rainforest to reach the stunning Arenal Volcano, a 5,437-foot active volcano. From there we venture out to take in Costa Ricas’ breathtaking waterfalls, diverse and intriguing wildlife (including sloths, toucans, and monkeys!) and beautiful relaxing beaches. We end our journey with a fast-paced and fun rafting trip before heading back to San Jose to catch our flights home. Join us for the perfect mix of Spanish-language immersion and adventure!
We are excited about our first trip combining active travel and Spanish instruction. To be clear, you need not be fluent in Spanish to participate on this trip; all tour instructions and most conversation with your fellow participants will be in English.
We we provide is the setting and opportunities for you to improve your Spanish, via the following:
- Daily lessons provided by Cristobal Cavazos that are tailored to our tour. These will include situations such as ordering at restaurants, shopping at a farmers market, or checking into a hotel. Our group will be split into sub-groups based on Spanish proficiency.
- Specific events designed to encourage you to speak Spanish, such as visiting a farmer’s market where you will be asked to purchase lunch supplies sitting down to lunch with a local Costa Rican family.
- We will ask our restaurant servers, hotel staff, and other locals to speak to you in Spanish!
What level Spanish proficiency is this trip designed for? You should have studied Spanish before and have some base of language, even if regressed from high school. This trip is also probably not going to meet your goal if you are advanced and looking for an immersive experience.
DAY 1: Your Zephyr guide and Cristobal will meet you in the morning in the lobby of the Marriott Hotel San Jose, from which we will make our way to the airport to fly to La Fortuna, home base for Volcan Arenal. Once we arrive, we will have an authentic Costa Rican lunch at a local restaurant. After lunch, our local guide will take us to the trailhead. Today’s hike begins in the rainforest for the first mile or so before transitioning to lava fields, and the base of Arenal Volcano, situated inside the National Park. Tonight, we will enjoy the thermal waters at the hotel as we learn more about Costa Rica and our week ahead….SEE FULL ITINERARY
Real People, Real Experiences – What To Expect On This Trip
As on all of our adventures, we want to ensure you have the best experience possible – which is why we like to set expectations appropriately for every trip. Check out What To Expect On This Trip .
For More Information
- See Frequently Asked Questions for this specific trip.
- See our General FAQs page for general tour questions.
- INTERESTED IN JOINING US? Call us at 888.758.8687 or email us to check availability, or to ask any questions you may have regarding this trip or any other travel ideas you may be considering.
TO BOOK YOUR ADVENTURE: You can book online or by calling us at 888.758.8687. Zephyr Adventures requires a 500 deposit (payable by check or credit card) at the time of booking. The remaining balance is payable by check or credit card no later than 60 days prior to the start of the trip.
- WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? We will send you a confirmation email after we receive your booking, as well as a link to detailed printer-friendly pre-departure documents: arrival and departure information, suggestions for making travel arrangements, a packing list, an invoice, information about your trip location and guides. It will also include a link to an information form and liability waiver. We will also provide you with a link to information about travel insurance. We highly recommend you purchase travel insurance because it protects you if you have an unexpected change in travel plans. Please do not purchase airfare until you have received your pre-departure documents.