“The world has few secrets left, but Bhutan is one of them.” – Katie Hickman, Author of Dreams of the Peaceful DragonBhutan is a country nestled in the Eastern Himalaya mountains, bordering Tibet and India, and regions of the country are some of the most remote in the world. For centuries, Bhutan remained in self-imposed isolation from the rest of the world. This conscious policy of isolation, complemented by formidable geographical barriers, enabled the country to maintain its independence throughout its history. This tiny kingdom cautiously opened its doors to outsiders in 1974, and visitors have been mesmerized by its spiritual life and forbidden aura ever since. This is truly adventure travel, where we give up comforts we’re accustomed to and gain insight into another culture. The key is to relax, live in the moment, and not worry about things we can’t control. We Westerners generally value punctuality, productivity, and assertiveness. Buddhist cultures tend to be more forgiving, relaxed about time, and polite and gentle in awkward situations. Be prepared to forgo your Western way of thinking and experience an alternate way of life in a country that measures prosperity by gauging its citizens’ Gross National Happiness instead of financial benchmarks!
DAY 1: We meet you in Bangkok, Thailand this morning and take a very early flight together to Bhutan. The scenic flight into Paro offers a spectacular view of the Himalayan ranges. If you’re lucky, you may even see Mount Everest …SEE FULL ITINERARY
Real People, Real Experiences – What To Expect On This Trip
As on all of our adventures, we want to ensure you have the best experience possible – which is why we like to set expectations appropriately for every trip. Check out What To Expect On This Trip
Looking for a traveler’s perspective on Bhutan? Check out our guide Michael Keys’ perspective on why you shouldn’t wait to explore this beautiful and culturally rich country.
- Internal air costs are not included in the trip price. We will purchase the round trip flight between Bangkok and Paro for you and include this amount (approximately 900) in your invoice.
- Your final payment for the trip and internal airfare is due 90 days from the start of the trip, and at this point becomes non-refundable or transferable to another trip. Please strongly consider trip insurance!
For More Information
- See Frequently Asked Questions for this specific trip.
- See our General FAQs page for general tour questions.
- INTERESTED IN JOINING US? Call us at 888.758.8687 or email us to check availability, or to ask any questions you may have regarding this trip or any other travel ideas you may be considering.
TO BOOK YOUR ADVENTURE: You can book online or by calling us at 888.758.8687. Zephyr Adventures requires a 500 deposit (payable by check or credit card) at the time of booking. The remaining balance is payable by check or credit card no later than 60 days prior to the start of the trip.
- WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? We will send you a confirmation email after we receive your booking. When the trip has met its minimum requirement to run, we will also send you a link to detailed printer-friendly pre-departure documents: arrival and departure information, suggestions for making travel arrangements, a packing list, an invoice, information about your trip location and guides. It will also include a link to an information form and liability waiver. We will also provide you with a link to information about travel insurance. We highly recommend you purchase travel insurance because it protects you if you have an unexpected change in travel plans. Please do not purchase airfare until you have received your pre-departure documents.