This is the third post in a series we are calling “In The Words of Alumni” that shares feedback about a trip directly from the travelers who were just on it. Online ratings are becoming increasingly important for small businesses like ours (see our blog post on this topic).
We are happy to tell you all the great things about our trips, but our words don’t carry as much weight as the words of the people who have just experienced it firsthand! Thanks, travelers, for allowing us to share your experience with others.
Consider joining us on our 2019 Portugal Hiking & Wine Adventure (May 20 – 26).
Portugal Hiking & Wine Adventure – May 2018
Overall Trip Rating: 4.89/5.00
- The trip exceeded my expectations, even though I have high expectations for Zephyr trips. It’s hard to pick out a single moment, but here are four things I really enjoyed: (1) dinner with Fado music in Sintra; (2) dinner in Monsaraz (who knew pork cheeks were that good, plus it was nice of Francisco to share his 1985 wine); (3) hike on the beach in Lagos; (4) hike along the cliffs in Lagos. Guides were fantastic and all the folks on the trip were great. We got to see several areas of Portugal, which was a plus. Francisco was a great source of information on Portuguese wines and we were able to taste wines that I wasn’t familiar with (such as Muscatel and white port). Meals were excellent with a good blend of local and
higher endrestaurants. All hotels were fantastic! — JOHN D.
- Of the 3 Zephyr trips I’ve been on, this was by far the best. The group dynamics were quite good, Francisco was great as were the destinations, and of course, Kris running around making sure everything went smoothly. As usual, good choice of restaurants, I expect nothing less from Zephyr. I’m happy to have a WSET-
quaIifiedwine guide on this trip. — GEORGE K.
- It was a great introduction to many of the varying wine regions of Portugal. And Zephyr trips are always good value for money with the nice meals and activities each day. — TAMARA I.
- It was well organized and I loved the variety of hiking and wine tasting experiences.. What a great group of people to travel with. I appreciate the emphasis on having everyone get to know each other. Meeting new people makes these trips a cut above! Thank you! — JANET K.
- Great trip. We slept in a castle! — ROB & THERESA B.
- My favorite moment was exploring Monsaraz and drinking wine on the rooftop of the wine shop. It was a great trip, the balance of wine and hiking was just right. — EVA K.
- Excellent trip, good balance of hiking and wine-focused activities; fast paced with little down time but I prefer it that way to not waste any opportunities. — PEYTON M.
- Wonderful trip! We definitely understand why so many people choose to book with Zephyr year after year. We’re looking forward to our next Zephyr Adventure! Thanks for a memorable vacation! — PAT W.
- It was well-planned and conducted. The group was compatible and courteous – the kind of trip where the whole was much greater than the sum of the parts. I was left with a warm regard for Portugal and its people. Improvements? I’m sure that there must be something, but nothing occurs to me. It was as perfect a trip as I have had with Zephyr. — JIM W.
- Overall, excellent experience!!! The places that we visited were unforgettable, the trails were just magical!!!! Francisco’s knowledge about wines is excellent. — MARIA K.
- I can’t pick just one favorite moment. All of the beaches were fabulous, with spectacular scenery, azure ocean and sparkling, fine sands. The accommodations were wonderful in their variety, uniqueness, quality, and comfort. Seeing the castle from the windmill hike was a premium moment. The choice of medieval towns was excellent, we loved exploring the tiny cobbled streets with our time off. A+++. We did a lot of driving, but we wouldn’t have seen such a variety of places if we hadn’t. Our guides were excellent, always there to assist us in any way. Great accommodations, food, drink and activity. A pleasure for the senses. We had at least one walk and one wine activity each day, which I thought was a great blend. Considering the cost of a driver and comfortable bus, the delicious breakfasts, dinners and high quality accommodations, entrance to museums, wine tastings and pairings, generous snacks and extra wine, and knowledgeable guides who attended to our needs, I thought it was a good deal. — PAT T.