Cuba People-to-People Multisport Adventure
Night 1 >> Hotel La Moka / Las Terrazas
Hotel La Moka brings the outdoors in with an immense 100-year-old rain tree growing up through the lobby and sprouting out the rooftop! This charming jungle hotel offers spacious and comfortable rooms, perfect to relax and unwind in after a day of hiking.
Night 2 >> Hotel Vueltabajo / Pinar del Rio
This historic state-owned colonial hotel is beautifully decorated with extraordinary high ceilings, an impressive spiral staircase, and charming details. It is conveniently located in the center of town, just steps away from a number of great paladars (privately owned restaurants) and has an incredibly friendly staff to attend to your every need.
Nights 3 & 8 >> Hotel Ambos Mundos / Havana
Located in renowned Old Town Havana, the Hotel Ambos Mundos was originally a private family home but was refurbished as a hotel in 1924. It is well known as the hotel Ernest Hemingway lived in for several years, and even started one of his most famous novels, For Whom the Bell Tolls. To add to the ambiance, each of the guest rooms pay homage to Hemingway’s free spirit. We will be staying here on both Night 3 and 8.
Nights 4 - 7 >> Casas Particulares / Cienfuegos, Trinidad, & Playa Larga
Cuba’s smaller cities and villages do not offer larger hotels that you may be accustomed to in your travels to other countries. Casas particulares are private accommodations similar to a typical bed and breakfast. Depending on group size, we may not be staying all together, but certainly within the same neighborhood. We will be staying at three different sets of casa particulares during our exploration of Central Cuba.
We will meet you in the morning on the first day of the tour in Havana. If you choose to arrive that day, we will meet you at the airport (airport code HAV). If you arrive earlier we’ll meet you at a downtown hotel. On the last day of the tour, we will have breakfast at our hotel and shuttle everyone to the Havana airport. You may want to consider booking a hotel in Miami for this night as flights from Havana may be delayed, arriving late into the evening. We will include detailed information about flights, arrivals and departures in your pre-departure documents after you book.
Dates: December 2 - 10, 2017
Trip Length: 9 days, 8 nights
Activities: Hiking & Biking
“Cuba is such a beautiful country, and everywhere you go, there’s music and people dancing…” – Julia Sawalha
Only one spot remaining!Cuba is a country of dichotomies: timeworn yet stunning, in disrepair yet distinguished, tired yet vivacious. From the colorful and historical streets of Havana and Trinidad to the rural tobacco farms in Valle de Viñales, to the natural beauty of national parks and world heritage sites throughout the country, Cuba has something for everyone. Since the 1962 US embargo, travel to Cuba has been off limits to most Americans – until now. To say we are excited to be hosting our maiden voyage to Cuba would be an understatement. This is a people-to-people exchange where we will have the opportunity to not only explore and learn about the amazing natural resources of Cuba through hiking, biking, and snorkeling but learn about and immerse ourselves into a complex culture complete with rich and meaningful interactions with the people of Cuba. During our time there, we will visit with naturalist guides, farmers, historians, national park officials, artists, small business entrepreneurs and more. Travel to Cuba is not first-class sailing. The country has suffered because of the embargo and its own policies. But in terms of experiencing the world, this is an amazing trip. We encourage you to check your pre-conceived notions at the door and be ready to learn about and live the vibrant and fascinating culture of Cuba!
Can’t make the December tour dates? Check out our February tour!
DAY 1: Bienvenido a Cuba! With the change in US travel laws and newly added commercial flights, travel to Cuba directly from the U.S. has become not only legal but increasingly easy. On this first day of our tour, we will pick you up at the airport or a downtown hotel (if you arrived the day before) and continue westward to our first destination – Las Terrazas in the Sierra del Rosario mountains, a cool contrast to hot Havana. Las Terrazas was originally formed as a part of Fidel Castro’s 1968 “green revolution” reforestation initiative to restore areas that have been over-logged since the arrival of the Spanish conquistadors and defaced by miles of coffee plantations….SEE FULL ITINERARY
Real People, Real Experiences – What To Expect On This Trip
As on all of our adventures, we want to ensure you have the best experience possible – which is why we like to set expectations appropriately for every trip. Check out What To Expect On This Trip.
- In addition to a valid passport, you will need to purchase a Cuban Travel Visa in order to enter the country. We will provide information on how to obtain this in your Pre-Departure Packet.
- U.S. medical insurance is not valid in Cuba. You will need to purchase temporary Cuban insurance for this trip and provide proof of insurance as you enter the country. We will provide information on how to obtain this in your Pre-Departure Packet.
- Because we are visiting a developing country, there may be unforeseen travel hiccups or circumstances that are hard to plan for, including delays in flights back home out of Havana. Please strongly consider trip insurance!
- Your final payment for the trip and internal airfare is due 90 days from the start of the trip, and at this point becomes non-refundable or transferable to another trip.
- Zephyr is partnering with a United States Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control licensed agency to engage, organize and conduct authorized people-to-people travel to Cuba that engages participants in meaningful interactions with individuals in Cuba.
For More Information
- See Frequently Asked Questions for this specific trip.
- See our General FAQs page for general tour questions.
- INTERESTED IN JOINING US? Call us at 888.758.8687 or email us to check availability, or to ask any questions you may have regarding this trip or any other travel ideas you may be considering.
TO BOOK YOUR ADVENTURE: You can book online or by calling us at 888.758.8687. Zephyr Adventures requires a 500 deposit (payable by check or credit card) at the time of booking. The remaining balance is payable by check or credit card no later than 60 days prior to the start of the trip.
- WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? We will send you a confirmation email after we receive your booking, as well as a link to detailed printer-friendly pre-departure documents: arrival and departure information, suggestions for making travel arrangements, a packing list, an invoice, information about your trip location and guides. It will also include a link to an information form and liability waiver. We will also provide you with a link to information about travel insurance. We highly recommend you purchase travel insurance because it protects you if you have an unexpected change in travel plans. Please do not purchase airfare until you have received your pre-departure documents.